- Degree livel: Laurea Di Primo Livello – Ordinamento 270/04 (equivalent to Bachelor of Science)
- Class of Degree: L-9 – Ingegneria industriale
- Campus: Milano Bovisa Campus
- School: School of Industrial and information Engineerin
- Official length of the programme: 3 years
- LOfficial language: Italian
Coordinator of the Study programme
Prof. Luigi Pietro Maria Colombo
Tel: (+39) 02 2399 3887
Teaching Rules: link
Energy engineers, professionally categorized in the industrial engineering field, must know thermodynamic conversion methods of the various forms of energy, the environmental effects caused by energy conversion, the technical and operative issues involving plants and components where power is generated and used, as well as the methods of economic analysis employed to assess investments in the energy sector. They have to use up-to-date techniques and tools to identify and solve engineering problems in the energy field. Basic education emphasizes the fundamentals of mathematics, physics, chemistry, computer science and applied economics for engineering. On these bases, specific energy engineering skills are developed, focusing on applied thermodynamics, heat transfer, thermal machines, energy processes, closely linked to other more traditional industrial engineering subjects (solid and fluid mechanics, applied mechanics, mechanical technologies, electrical engineering, materials). The programme therefore aims at training technicians able to work in the many areas associated with energy, which requires wide knowledge in the various branches of mechanical, chemical and electrical engineering together with an exploration of the more specific subjects required by the energy industry.
Structure of the study programme
First and second year
A unique track is available to lay the foundations of industrial engineering.
- Subjects: 1st and 2nd year
At the third year of the study programme, there is a selection between the tracks E1N, E4N and E5N, differently focusing on energy engineering disciplines, and track E3N specifically devoted to the access to the Master of Science in Nuclear Energy without additional requirements.
The job market offers a wide range of opportunities to the Energy engineers: the production, distribution and correct use of energy are actually essential topics, even if with many problems, of our age. However, the energy industry must continuously adapt to the increasing demands in terms of competition in the liberalised markets, decentralization of production, greater attention to environmental impact problems and reduction of greenhouse gas emissions, convergent needs in the request for technicians with specific skills.
Therefore, the possible career opportunities for the Engineer with a Laurea are:
- in the design, test and operation of thermal, thermoelectric, air-conditioning and refrigeration plants, both in industrial and civil-commercial sectors;
- in the field of production and sale of machinery and components for the energy sector such as boilers, air-conditioners, refrigerators, engines, heat exchangers, compressors and gas or steam turbines;
- in the renewable or fossil energy generation industry, in the oil and natural gas sector, in terms of production, dispatching or distribution services;
- energy management activities in companies or institutions, with production purposes that can be very different from those of energy. It should be noted here that the Italian Legislation (Law 10/91) provides for the obligation of the profile of “responsible technician for conservation and rational energy use” (Energy Manager) for companies with significant levels of consumption.
The qualification grants access to “Laurea Magistrale” (2nd degree), “Corso di Specializzazione di primo livello” (1st level Specialization Course) and “Master Universitario di primo livello” (1st level University Master)
Regarding the Master of Science in Energy Engineering, laurea-graduated students in Energy Engineering from Politecnico di Milano with E1N or E3N track are admitted without additional requirements, if they have obtained an average score above the threshold indicated in the Educational Rules of the MSc degree programme, in compliance with the English language requisites. For laurea-graduated students with E4N and E5N tracks (or the former E2N track), additional subjects (up to 20 credits) will be required. Complete admission rules are provided in the Educational rules of the abovementioned Master of Science.
Presentation of the Bachelor of Science in Energy Engineering
Politecnico di Milano Open Day 2020
How to apply?